I love chili, stew, soup – anything I can slow cook in my Dutch oven so I decided to make a vegetarian three bean chili today because it was rainy and cold–perfect weather for chili! It turned out really tasty, healthy & comforting and made my house smell so good all day long.
Vegetarian Three Bean Chili:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 2 16 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2-3 tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 (7 oz) can of whole green chiles diced
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (16 oz) kidney or black beans
- 1 (16 oz) can of chili or pinto beans
- 1 (16 oz) can of white beans or white cannelloni beans
How to Make Vegetarian Three Bean Chili
Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat, and add onions, celery, pepper, and jalapeno (if using). Saute for about 3-4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds before adding tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, and beans. Add all spices and stir. Cook covered on low heat on the stove, low in your crockpot, or at 250 degrees in the oven.
Cook all day stirring throughout the day if you can. Don’t forget to take out the bay leaf before serving. Enjoy.
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Green onion, diced
- White onion, diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Saltine Crackers