We had yet another rainy day here in Oregon so I made a big pot of vegetable soup. I decided to add some kale because I love it in soups and some white cannellini beans for protein. This soup was so quick and simple to make and tasted delicious. We all loved it, especially my daughter, who took the leftovers to school in her thermos the next day.
Vegetable and Kale Soup:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp dried basil, to taste
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (15 oz) can of cannellini beans or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (I used chicken)
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of kale, chopped
How to Make Vegetable and Kale Soup
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat with olive oil. Add the onion once it’s warm and sauté for 2 minutes then add the minced garlic and stir constantly for 60 seconds.
Add the carrot, celery, basil, diced tomatoes, and chicken (or vegetable) broth. Stir the soup, mixing everything together, then season with sea salt and black pepper.
Simmer on medium-low heat for 45-60 minutes (depending on how soft you like your veggies). Add the kale, zucchini, and white kidney beans, taste, and re-season if needed. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Enjoy.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net