We finally had a cool day today in Portland. It was cloudy, cool, and a much needed break from the heat! I found a recipe at The Slow Roasted Italian that looked and sounded perfect! It had a wonderful chili flavor with an Italian twist. It smelled amazing while it simmered on the stove all afternoon and tasted even better. My daughter, who does not like chili, actually liked this and nearly ate her whole bowl full. My son loved it and asked for leftovers for his school lunch tomorrow. My husband and I both really liked it too and I look forward to eating the leftovers this week. Thanks for the great recipe Donna.
Side Note: Use a potato masher to break up the ground beef and Italian sausage quickly and easily into crumbles.
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the ground beef and the turkey Italian sausage, removed from casings, into the Dutch oven. Use a potato masher to break up the meat into crumbles. Add the chili powder, dried basil, oregano, cumin, crushed red pepper, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste; cook stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes. Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the meat crumbles; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili beans with sauce, and drained kidney beans. Cover with a lid then lower the heat to low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 hours. Taste the chili and re-season if desired.
Ladle into bowls then top with shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef I used 90/10
- 1 lb turkey Italian sausage removed from casings
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 sweet yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz and 1 8oz cans of tomato sauce
- 2 15 oz cans of chili beans with sauce
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans rinsed and drained
- Parmesan cheese shredded
- Ladle into bowls then top with shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Enjoy.