I made these muffins for my kids and husband on Sunday morning. They were super quick and easy to make and they smelled amazing while they baked in the oven. These muffins were the perfect way to use up my tart blueberries that I had in the refrigerator. The kids ABSOLUTELY loved the muffins and so did my husband. They didn’t last long and the kids have already asked for another batch. I’d say that makes this recipe a keeper!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
Toast 1/2 cup of coconut. Place the coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Place into the oven and watch very carefully so it doesn’t burn. Toss to brown evenly. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
Combine flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the toasted coconut and combine.
Using an immersion blender, mix together the egg, butter, milk, and vanilla until well combined. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in most of the blueberries gently into the muffin batter.
Divide the batter among muffin cups (I only used 11 of the cups). Sprinkle the (un-toasted) coconut evenly over the top of each muffin followed by the remaining blueberries.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes in the muffin tin then remove from the tin and let them cool on a cooling rack. Enjoy.
Toasted Coconut and Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups of white flour
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut toasted
- 1/2 cup of sweetened coconut
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Toast the coconut. Place the coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Place into the oven and watch very carefully so it doesn't burn. Toss to brown evenly. Remove from the oven and let it cool.