This was a very light and simple dish. I didn’t use a butter sauce or any cream because I was craving a healthy dinner. It was just pasta, garlic herb chicken sausage and some veggies tossed together with farfalle and feta. Light, healthy and delicious. It was extremely easy to make and had very little clean up. My entire family really loved this meal – especially my son. I served this pasta dish with my house salad.
- 2 tsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 sweet yellow onions, sliced
- 10-12 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 garlic and herb chicken sausages
- 2 baby bell peppers (orange and yellow)
- Handful of grape tomatoes
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Feta cheese (I used low fat)
- Farfalle, cooked per instructions
Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes or until caramelized. Season with salt and remove from heat and set aside. Add the additional 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the same skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms. Don’t stir the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes to allow them to become golden brown. Toss them around, season with salt then add the minced garlic, stirring constantly for 60 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
Cook the pasta per instructions. While the pasta is cooking, add the sausages to the skillet over medium heat and cook until golden brown on the outside, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cooled, slice the sausage and add back to the pan along with the mushrooms, caramelized onion, tomatoes, bell peppers and spinach; cook over medium heat until the tomatoes are soft and the spinach is slightly wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Drain the pasta and add to the skillet along with fresh basil, feta cheese then season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Mix well and serve.