We were in the mood for Mexican food (what’s new) but I didn’t feel like making a huge dinner so I grabbed some ground beef at the store and decided to make a taco salad. I used a bunch of different spices to flavor the beef and threw in whatever vegetables I had in the refrigerator along with black beans and sweet yellow corn. Next, I chopped up some tortillas and baked them for a nice crunchy texture in the salad. This was an easy dinner that tasted great and we all loved it, kids included.
Taco Meat Ingredients:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
- Dried oregano
- Onion powder
- Chile powder
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
How to Make a Taco Salad
Side Note: I didn’t measure spices. I sprinkled to taste.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the onion and stir frequently for 3-4 minutes; add the garlic and stir constantly for 60 seconds.
Add the ground beef to the onion and garlic mixture and break up the meat really well with the spatula. Add the spices and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the beef is thoroughly cooked. Taste, re-season if necessary. Set aside and let cool.
- Head of Romaine, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 cup of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup of frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup of grape tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup of black olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup of red, yellow, or orange baby bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup of green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, diced finely (more if you desire)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 6 corn tortillas, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Chop the corn tortillas into bite-sized pieces then place them on the baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray and add sea salt to taste. Place in the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes; remove from the oven and flip the chips over, return to the oven and bake for an additional 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette (recipe below)
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend the dressing. Combine all ingredients, toss and serve immediately. Enjoy.
looks much healthier than the original taco salad with catalina dressing, taco meat and doritos… this one seems much more grown up!
I love this salad and am totally making it this weekend. Yummy!
Just made this and it was amazing! I was a little nervous about the idea of taco meat with vinaigrette but not seasoning it with a package of taco seasoning makes all the difference. The spices you used are perfect with the meat and the vinaigrette was heavenly. I threw the beans in with the meat and I added mushrooms to that as well since we had them.
Anyone have any idea about the calorie count per serving?
Was just going to look up chipped beef on toast and now over an hour later, or more. I’m still looking at all the wonderful old recipes. Thank you for such a wonderful sight. I’ve really enjoyed it.