I had some leftover marinara to use up and decided to try making meatball sliders. I am trying to cook healthier so I didn’t smother them in cheese, although I think that would be tasty. I did add a bit of Asiago to the meatballs along with lots of garlic, mushrooms, and onions. I used dinner rolls for the bun and topped them with a fresh basil leaf. The Roasted Tomato, Garlic, and Onion Marinara tasted really delicious with the meatballs but if you aren’t up for making it, use a jar of your favorite marinara sauce. They were so good, easy to make with little clean-up – I love that kind of recipe. The meatballs were moist, tender and so delicious. My husband, daughter and I loved these little sliders while my son didn’t care too much for them – that’s okay, more for me!
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 7 button mushrooms, diced finely
- 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
- 1/4 cup of Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of Asiago cheese, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil (for cooking)
- Dinner rolls
- Roasted Tomato, Garlic, and Onion Marinara
- Fresh basil leaves
How to Make Meatball Sliders
Make the roasted marinara and let it simmer for 2-4 hours (or just use your favorite jar of marinara sauce).
Chop the mushrooms and onions as small as you can. Combine the first 11 ingredients together gently. Form into meatballs and set aside.
Once the meatballs are prepared. Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Cook the meatballs until golden brown on all sides. Add the meatballs to the marinara sauce and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net