Black Bean and Chorizo Soup:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4-6 oz of pork chorizo
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 4-5 baby bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried red hot pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to tasted
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 3 15 oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- Cotija cheese, garnish
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream, optional
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove the chorizo from the casing and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the onion and bell pepper then continue to cook for 5-7 minutes; season with cumin, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and pepper, to taste. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 60 seconds.
Add broth and two cans of black beans then simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes.
Mix some of the soup with an immersion blender. Add the last can of beans and stir. Taste, re-season with spices if needed. Top the soup with cotija cheese and fresh cilantro and/or sour cream. Enjoy.