My generous neighbor Jack gave me some fresh picked green leaf, red leaf, and romaine lettuce from his garden. I couldn’t wait to make a summer salad using it. I found this recipe from the Cooking Light July 2010 issue and couldn’t resist giving it a try. I loved the simply seasoned chicken mixed with the crunchy jicama, red pepper, and onion. The spicy pineapple dressing was AMAZING! This salad was perfect in flavor, texture, and taste… we all loved it.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Salad with Spicy Pineapple Dressing:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chili powder, to taste
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups of red leaf, green leaf, and romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3/4 cup jicama, peeled and julienne-cut
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienne-cut
- 1 small orange bell pepper, julienne-cut
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
Heat the grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Place the chicken between 2 sheets of saran wrap, and pound to an even thickness using a meat mallet. Sprinkle each side with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and chili powder, to taste. Place the chicken in the hot pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; set aside to allow the meat to rest.
Spicy Pineapple Dressing:
- 1 1/4 cups of cubed fresh pineapple, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp jalapeño, diced
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil (not pictured)
Combine half of the pineapple, cilantro, orange juice, vinegar, jalapeño, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. With the processor on, gradually add the olive oil until well blended.
Slice the chicken into bite-size pieces. Combine the remaining pineapple, jicama, bell pepper, red onion, chicken, and lettuce in a bowl. Drizzle with the dressing, and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe – For the Love of Cooking.netAdapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net Original recipe by Cooking Light, July 2010