I love lasagna and I wanted to find a way to make it healthy & delicious so I created this recipe and so does my family. This lasagna with turkey Italian sausage and vegetables is packed with flavor & it’s so good. Serve with a Caesar Salad and crusty bread.
How to Make a Lasagna with Turkey Italian Sausage and Vegetables:
- 5-6 turkey Italian sausages
- Cooking spray
Heat skillet over medium heat. Remove sausage from casings and cook breaking into very small crumbles. Once cooked remove from heat drain if needed and place in a bowl.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely (I use 5)
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil and add mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown; then add garlic, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook for 60 seconds then remove from heat and mix with onions & peppers.
- 30 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded (divided)
- 1 tsp dried basil or 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 9-12 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked per instructions
- 6 cups of homemade marinara sauce or your favorite store-bought
Combine the ricotta cheese, spinach, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, 2 tbsp Parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste, mix well and set aside.
Cook lasagna noodles and drape over the pan when done (to prevent sticking together).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray glass 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Spread some marinara sauce over the bottom of the dish. Layer with 3 lasagna noodles (or more if needed). Spread ricotta mixture on the bottom, then turkey Italian sausage, then the vegetable mixture.
Layer 3 more noodles, more sauce, then more ricotta, sausage, and vegetables. Add 3 more noodles and the remainder of the sauce. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese then sprinkle the last 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese on top. Spray one side of tin foil with cooking spray and cover the lasagna.
Bake lasagna for 30 minutes then remove the tin foil cover and cook an additional 10-15 minutes. Let cool before slicing. Enjoy!
Click here for printable recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net