These delicious carne asada tacos are mouthwatering good! These tacos are a family favorite (and a lot of our friends’ and family too!). I found a base recipe years ago on the Internet for these tacos, it was good but still needed some work. After many attempts, I finally have the best carne asada recipe. These tacos are great to serve for company, Taco Tuesday, or Cinco de Mayo, and the leftovers (if there are any) make really tasty burritos.
How to Make Carne Asada Tacos
In a gallon size zip lock bag, combine all ingredients with flank steak and mix really well. Let marinate for at least 6-24 hours.
Grill steak on a hot grill or in a grill pan over medium-high heat, for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until desired degree of doneness.
- Corn tortillas, warmed
- Cotija cheese (Mexican cheese that is worth getting because it’s really great on all Mexican dishes & salads)
- Guacamole (see recipe here)
- Roasted Tomato Salsa (see recipe here)
- Onion, Lime & Cilantro relish (see recipe here)
Cook tortillas over an open flame or in a (dry)hot pan for 45-60 seconds on each side. You want them soft & pliable.
Top the warm tortilla with some meat, onion relish, salsa, guacamole, and cheese. Enjoy.
- Grill or Grill Pan
Carne Asada Marinade:
- 2 lbs flank steak
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup vegetable or olive oil
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- 1-2 tsp white pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 5 large cloves of garlic, minced
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Combine all of ingredients in a large zip lock bag; seal & shake well. Add the flank steak and seal.
- Marinate in the refrigerator 6-24 hours.
- Grill steak on a hot grill or in a grill pan over medium-high heat, for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until desired degree of doneness.
- LET THE MEAT REST FOR AT LEAST 10 MINUTES before slicing! Once the meat has cooled, slice ACROSS grain into small chunks.
- Cook tortillas over an open flame or in a (dry)hot pan for 45-60 seconds on each side. You want them warm, soft, & pliable.
- Top the warm tortilla with some meat, onion relish, salsa, guacamole, and cheese. Enjoy.