Who can resist a meatball sandwich? The moist and tender meatballs, the tangy sauce, the gooey cheese and the soft bread. It’s a perfect combination of flavors and textures. A while back I made Baked Penne with Meatballsand the whole time I made the dish I was thinking about how perfect the sauce and meatballs would be for a meatball sandwich. Well I made the meatballs and sauce again but this time I made sandwiches. They were hearty, so full of flavor and delicious. The kids gobbled them up and my husband was one happy man.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 6 oz of button or cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute until tender; add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds, stirring frequently. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for at least 2 hours.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
- 7 button mushrooms, diced finely
- 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
- 1/4 cup of Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil (for cooking)
Put the onions, garlic and mushrooms in a food processor to chop, otherwise chop them as small as you can. Combine all ingredients (except for olive oil) together gently. Form into small meatballs and set aside. Once the meatballs are prepared. Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Cook the meatballs until golden brown on all sides. Remove from skillet and place the cooked meatballs in the mushroom marinara.
- Hoagie rolls
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Fresh basil, chopped
To assemble, place meatballs with some sauce in the hoagie rolls. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella and Parmesan. Place in a pan, under the broiler and melt cheese – watch carefully so don’t burn. Top with basil and serve. Enjoy!