Mediterranean White Bean Soup
I made this Mediterranean white bean soup for lunch today because I’m trying to eat healthier. This soup is vegetarian but you can also use chicken broth. I sauteed the veggies, garlic and spices then let the soup simmer with a parmesan rind for 30 minutes before adding the fresh baby spinach and parsley. I absolutely loved this healthy and delicious soup–it was full of flavor and was very comforting & warm on this cold rainy day we’re having here in Portland. I am really looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
How to Make Mediterranean White Bean Soup
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the minced garlic, fresh thyme sprig, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Add the broth, beans, and parmesan rind and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the baby spinach and cook until it wilts, about 1 minute. Remove the parmesan rind. Add the fresh parsley and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve with fresh Parmesan on the side. Enjoy!
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¼ yellow onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled & diced
- 1 small stalk of celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small sprig fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you prefer)
- 1 15 oz can white cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 small Parmesan rind
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Grated parmesan for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, fresh thyme sprig, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, beans, and parmesan rind and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the baby spinach and cook until it wilts, about 1 minute.
- Add the fresh parsley and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Remove the parmesan rind.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan on the side. Enjoy!
Such a great winter warmer and so delicious too!
I just bought some dry Great Northern beans to make ham and white bean soup but I like the looks of yours so I think I’ll toss in a little onion and ham and scale it for my bean amount. Thanks for the timely post.
I love folding tender greens into soup. In fact I often add spinach (as you did) ’cause I love its flavor. And it looks so nice. Anyway, this is a terrific soup — perfect for January! Thanks!
A perfect lunch…I’m all for a bowl of homemade soup like yours.
This soup looks hearty and delicious.
Love this soup!! Is perfect and delicious !
Can you replace parmesan rind with just some grated parmesan cheese? If so, how much?
The rind gives a subtle cheese flavor without leaving globs of cheese in the soup. If you don’t have a rind just add some freshly grated parmesan, to taste, when serving.
So hearty and definitely healthy! I love adding parmesan rinds to soup…they add so much flavor.