Spaghetti alla Carbonara is my kind of comfort food. Not only is it really tasty but it’s easy to make as well. I am still one-handed these days–immersion blender incident, so I couldn’t do anything challenging. This delicious pasta dish is quick and easy to make and paired nicely with a house salad and freshly baked breadsticks.
Spaghetti alla Carbonara:
- 4 ounces of pancetta, diced into chunks (bacon will also work well)
- Spaghetti noodles, prepared per instructions in well-salted water, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water (I used whole wheat noodles)
- 1 small shallot, diced finely
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 egg, very well-beaten
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded (use more if you desire)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
How to Make Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Cook the pasta per instructions in well-salted water; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
Whisk together the egg with half the cheese and salt & pepper, until mixed thoroughly.
Add shallots to the same large skillet & saute until tender. Add garlic & saute for 30 seconds.
Add the egg mixture & stir continuously until creamy (be careful not to overcook the eggs–you don’t want them to scramble). Add pancetta, parsley, and the remainder of the Parmesan – taste & re-season if needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy.