This vegetarian Italian sandwich is a great way to use leftover crusty bread. It’s a great lunch or easy dinner and is delicious with a bowl of homemade soup.
How to Make a Vegetarian Italian Sandwich:
- 1/4 loaf of rustic, crusty bread – sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup of marinara sauce or 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spread marinara or pesto sauce evenly over each slice of bread. Add mozzarella and Parmesan to both slices. Add tomato slices to one side then season with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste. Put both sides of the bread (separated) in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted thoroughly.
Add fresh basil slices to the half with tomatoes and top with the other half of the toasted bread. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Click here for printable recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net