My mom is a great cook and one of her best dishes is potato salad–it’s always a huge hit with everyone that eats it. I have never made it before and decided to give it a try –I added just a few things to make it my own. My stepfather-in-law Bud uses big chunks of black olives in his version and I really liked the flavor and color they added. This was a very tasty potato salad that went well with the barbecue ribs I made. If you want to kick it up a bit try a little wasabi mixed in… my sister Dana loves it that way. Don’t worry Mom, your version is still my favorite.
Mom’s Potato Salad with a Twist:
- 5 large potatoes, skinned, boiled until fork tender & diced into bite-size chunks
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
- 1/2 cup of sliced black olives, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- 2 tsp of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of good mayonnaise
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika (sprinkled on top for garnish)
How to Make Mom’s Potato Salad with a Twist
Just like my mom, I boil my large potatoes with the skin on. Once they are fork-tender I let them cool and simply peel off the skin. I then dice them into bite-size chunks.
Combine the remaining ingredients (except paprika) in a large bowl & mix thoroughly. Taste and re-season if needed.
Put into a serving bowl & sprinkle the top with paprika. Enjoy.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net