I wanted a simple and healthy meal to serve our friends who came for dinner. Shish kebabs were the perfect choice to satisfy everyone. My husband did a great job grilling the veggies, steak and shrimp. I served the kebabs with brown rice and my friend, Kyle, brought a wonderful strawberry, balsamic and mint salad. The meal was really tasty and enjoyed by all.
Note: Don’t forget to soak skewer sticks in water before using to avoid burning them.
- Beef of your choice (I used sirloin because it was really lean), chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped finely
- Juice of one navel orange
Combine all ingredients in a large zip lock bag. Marinate for at least 1-24 hours prior to grilling. I skewer right before grilling.
- Cremini or button mushrooms
- Red, orange and/or yellow peppers, cut into large chunks
- Sweet yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- Yellow squash, cut into large chunks
- Zucchini squash, cut into large chunks
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh pineapple, cut into large chunks
Skewer the veggies one at a time, trying to get one of each on a skewer. I usually season with salt and pepper after grilling.
- Shrimp (I used medium sized but next time I will use large)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
Combine all ingredients in a large Ziploc bag. Marinate for 2-5 hours. Note: Don’t use lemon juice in the marinade because it will cook the shrimp.
I used separate skewers for the beef, shrimp and veggies because they all have different cooking times.
- Grill the veggies for 10-12 minutes on each side.
- Grill the beef for 4-5 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- Grill the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side or until pink. Don’t over cook.
I served over brown rice mixed with soy sauce and butter. Enjoy.