Whenever it’s cold outside, I start craving comfort food. I roasted a lemon and basil chicken for dinner. I decided to serve it with orzo, mushrooms, and peas. This was a simple yet comforting side dish. The mushrooms, shallots, and peas gave a wonderful flavor and texture to the pasta while the Parmesan made it creamy and salty. My kids loved this pasta dish and so did my husband and me. It paired very nicely with the roast chicken and some crusty bread.
Orzo with Mushrooms, Peas, and Parmesan:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped finely
- 7-8 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of orzo, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid
How to Make Orzo with Mushrooms, Peas, and Parmesan
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the shallot and mushrooms. Sauté until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes; add the garlic and stir frequently for 30 seconds. Remove from heat, season with sea salt to taste then set aside.