I can’t tell you how much I loved this rice! It was sweet, spicy, and so flavorful. The ginger and cayenne pepper really gave the rice a nice kick, the tender onions and carrots made it sweet, and the cilantro gave it a great flavor punch. It was the perfect side dish to my Garlic-Ginger Chicken Thighs and Sesame Green Beans. I can’t wait to make this one again.
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled & grated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
How to Make Carrot-Ginger Rice
Combine the rice and chicken broth together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and steam for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until tender. Add the carrot, ginger, and garlic to the onions and cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice to the mixture along with the cilantro, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and dash of cayenne pepper. Stir gently so all ingredients are well combined. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net