| | |

Au Gratin Potatoes

Au Gratin PotatoesI was recently looking through my Betty Crocker’s cookbook (my very first cookbook). I saw a recipe for Au gratin potatoes and it looked and sounded so rich, creamy and delicious. Definitely not healthy but sometimes you have to splurge – you know? I was roasting a chicken for dinner and decided the Au gratin potatoes would be the perfect side dish. This was really easy to make (as long as you have a mandolin slicer to cut the potatoes – or a wonderful neighbor who has the coolest gadgets and lets you borrow them…thank you Cheryl). I used extra sharp cheddar because it’s what I had on hand. I also used non-fat milk because, well, it has plenty of fat with the cheese and butter. It was a huge hit with my entire family and our friends who were over for dinner – everyone had seconds and there was no leftovers. It paired very nicely with my roasted chicken and a fresh green salad.

• 4-5 large Idaho russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 th inch thick
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of non fat milk
  • 2 cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
  • 1/4 dry Italian bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Scrub potatoes and peel. Cut into 1/8-inch slices to measure about 4 cups. If you have a mandolin slicer, use it.

Au Gratin PotatoesMelt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.

Slowly stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute until the cheese is completely melted.

Spread potatoes in casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Mix remaining cheese and the bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes; add a bit more salt and pepper. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes longer or until top is brown and bubbly.

Au Gratin Potatoes

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

54 Comments

1. I don’t believe it, I don’t believe it! I just harvested my potatoes and was thinking to myself, “Self, what should I make with these lovely garden potatoes?” Now I know what to make! This recipe sounds great! I was surprised to see non fat milk in the ingredients list. The potatoes look so creamy, I would have guessed whole milk! Oh Pam, come move by me. And feed me. Daily. 🙂

2. It was 11pm for you…it is 12:46am for me and I just got done with a chocolate hazelnut semi freddo and it is now in the freezer. It would have been done earlier but I had to make the amaretti cookies first that go in it. I hope to post it tomorrow evening if I am happy with it. Thank you for the comment. The mushrooms are actually easy. Chop, saute, add, fill, bake. If you come to Central

3. The Blonde Duck says:

My mama used to make this all the time. And I wondered what I’d be making for supper tonight….thanks for posting the perfect solution!

4. I got stuck in a rut making the same side dishes all the time. My daughter would love if I made these for dinner. I have the same cookbook – I’ll have to check it out more often.

5. The potatoes look delicious. You sliced them perfectly. I can almost imagine cutting into their cheesey crusty goodness 🙂 I’d be more than happy to be a guest at your home 🙂

6. Katherine Aucoin says:

Your potoatoes definitely look like a crowd pleaser. They look so creamy and cheesey. I’ll have to put these in the rotation; I’m yenning for roasted chicken and Au Gratin taters.

7. Cheesy delicious! What a tasty dish for dinner!!

8. Wow!!! what a great side dish… 🙂

9. ~Priscilla~ says:

what a great looking potatoe dish! yummy! will be making these. i also wanted to say, i made your chocolate peanut butter cookies and my family loved them! i didn’t happen to get pics, but they will be made again! thanks!

10. Nina Timm says:

Potato in any form, grabs my attention and this looks so scrumptious!!!

11. hayleynichols88 says:

Mmmm that looks soooo good and with a roast chicken too! I made such a disaster of this dish last time I tried it!

Also I was intrigued to know how you do the printable recipe thing at the end of each post? Thanks!

Hayley xx

12. Oh, yum! It looks so comforting and delicious–i need to make this one!

13. I agree with Cathy – enter these into the Hoe Down. I’m guilty of not entering that myself, but hopefully will soon! They look absolutely delish!

14. if i’m gonna splurge, this is just the type of dish i want to splurge on. replace that cheddar with pepper jack and i’ll fatten up real quick. 🙂

15. I’m so addicted to potatoes. I should be doing meat postings, but in stead I’m just doing the potato thing way too often 🙂

This looks to die for.

16. Gloria (Canela) says:

Pam your potatoes look awesome, really yummy and so nice picture,xxGloria

17. That looks great Pam, next time I am using Cheddar!

18. Hayleynichols88,

I created a plain blog for my printable recipes. Simply copy and paste the recipe into your plain blog and attach a link. Super easy and hopefully helpful to those that want to print recipes. Hope this helps.

19. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says:

Man, I haven’t had those in so long, they look wonderful! I am going to have to make those when it gets a bit cooler here!

20. All these need is a little bacon and I could eat them by themselves. I wanted to crawl through my screen these looked so good. The picture is delicious.

21. I love au gratin potatoes. My oldest son has never been willing to eat potatoes, but I used to call these “au gratins” and he ate them for years without realizing what they were!

22. Stephanie says:

Wow..that sounds really good. I am going to have to try this one.
    Thanks

23. There is nothing better than home made Au Gratin potatoes. My mom used to make it for us when we were kids. I will have to give it a try myself.

24. Au gratin is one of my favorite potato dishes, and these look totally scrummy.

25. Oh boy, such cheesiness-they look absolutely perfect!

26. Those look wonderful and well worth the plurge.

27. My stomach is growling just looking at these! I’m not a huge potato fan, but these look delicious!

28. Au gratin is one of my favorite potato dishes, yours looks really good. I’m not surprised there were no leftovers.

29. Whoops! I had a problem posting a comment on here earlier, and didn’t think it had gone through, now I see it did. I’m not really going senile, or maybe I am.

30. hot garlic says:

Oh my gosh, Pam, you’re killing me! These look nothing short of amazing. I need a drool cloth, or maybe just an adult bib!

31. They sound really good! Just a suggestion for next time: I recently worked in a really upscale restaurant that had THE BEST au gratin potatoes ever. Their secret? A little bit of Gruyere cheese. I tried it at home and it really adds a little something that makes you go, “Hmmmm, what’s that?” (In that amazing-but-you-can’t-pinpoint-what-it-is kind of way!) Can’t wait to try your recipe, with that

32. [eatingclub] vancouver || js says:

Fabulous potatoes! Those are some spuds. I can just imagine the ooeygooeygoodness of them.

33. You are killing me! I can’t get enough potatoes lately, and this just looks over-the-top good!!

34. I was thinking of making this sometime this week. You have made me feel like I will definitely have to make it! Yum!

35. I am making these – this weekend! I’ll be adding ham because Grumpy thinks it has to have diced ham…but I just know they will be delish! Yours looks so awesome!

36. Antoinette says:

I made these 2 nights ago and my entire family loved them! They went back for 3rds!! They were absolutely perfect and i highly recommend just following directions as stated because there is nothing that needs changing…well except maybe adding bacon would throw it over the top! ;D

37. Debbie Arthur says:

We love these and have made them 3 times now and mixing up the 4th batch right now. Using extra sharp cheddar is key.. Yummy…

38. Aarti Puri Kaushik says:

Awesome stuff !! My fussy brat gobbled it up…. And so so easy to make ! Thumbs up !!!

39. C Thacker says:

Really good. Used rosemary breadcrumbs.

40. Can I make this Potato recipe ahead of time , and Bake at a later time ? One to two days later ?

1. Jack,

Sorry, I’ve been on vacation and I am just now seeing this. I’ve never prepared it in advance so I am not sure but I think it would be just fine to make it a day ahead. Let me know how it turned out.