I have a terrible cold and wanted to make something for dinner that was simple but tasty. My entire family loved this tasty & comforting black bean soup. It was quick and easy to make and tasted so delicious. Don’t leave out the cilantro–it really made this soup complete.
Black Bean Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 5 cups of chicken broth OR vegetable broth
- 3 (14 oz) cans of black beans, rinsed & drained, (divided)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp cornstarch (combined with a bit of cold stock and mixed thoroughly), optional
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot add onion, bell pepper, and carrots, and saute until slightly tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, and red pepper flakes along with the garlic and stir constantly for 1 minute.
Add the broth, half of the beans, and bay leaf, and season with sea salt & freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Cook over medium-low heat for 1-2 hours.
Remove bay leaf, and blend using an immersion blender. Add the remainder of the beans and cornstarch slurry if you desire a thicker soup (make sure the soup is boiling when adding the cornstarch). Taste and re-season, as needed.
- Cilantro, chopped
- Cotija cheese, shredded
- Sour cream
- Avocado, diced
Garnish the soup with chopped cilantro and shredded cotija cheese and serve with sour cream and avocado, if desired. Enjoy.